Several weeks ago, I went to Philadelphia for a conference. I stopped at the Reading Terminal Market and picked up some lovely cuts of meat at a butcher stand. One special cut of meat was Osso Bucco! I wanted to make something special with this Ox tail, but did not have the time. Rob decided to make a special meal with it a couple days ago. I will be posting the Osso Bucco recipe in a day or two. Today, we will focus on the side dish...
Garlic Caramelized Broccoli!
Doesn't that just sound amazing and not terribly difficult? How can you go wrong with garlic and caramelized anything?
Here's what you'll need:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 heads of broccoli (cut the heads and half lengthwise)
1/2 cup water
3 garlic cloves, diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil (keep 1 tablesppoon aside for later).
- Add the broccoli, cut side down, cover and cook over moderate heat until richly browned on the bottom, about 8 minutes.
- Add the water, cover and cook until the broccoli is just tender and the water has evaporated, about 7 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the garlic and cook uncovered until the garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Season the broccoli with salt and black pepper, drizzle with the lemon juice.
Check back soon for the Osso Bucco recipe and cheese risotto!