Although Friday is a special day, you still have to actually get through Friday! You need to go to work, trudge through the day, and keep your eye on that Saturday prize! How can we make getting through Friday a little easier? CRUMB CAKE!
It's true! Food at work that is made by you or someone else is a special treat. I love to bake for the people I work with. Sometimes we even have a conversation about the yummy treat that may or may not make it into the office. This happened this week. I spoke with a fellow co-worker Thursday at the end of the day saying, "What yummy treat should I make for Friday?" I was given the green light to make anything.
Truth be told, I had another treat in mind, but this morning I discovered I did not have all the ingredients. Since going to the store was simply impossible, I resorted to Plan B. Plan B was to grab a beloved Gooseberry Patch Cookbook and find a crumb cake. There are countless crumb cakes in the numerous books I own. I grabbed "Grandma's Kitchen" assuming that a book devoted to the treats our grandmother's ha made could not and would not fail me. I was right!
2 1/4 Cup Flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Cup Brown Sugar
3/4 Cup Shortening (not oil)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. Oriental Spices (combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger)
1 Cup Buttermilk
Garnish: Walnuts (or Pecans)
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the Shortening into the flour, salt, and brown sugar. Cut until combined and crumbly. (**I used a pastry cutter and that made is extremely easy!)
- Set aside 3/4 - 1 Cup.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. There will be lumps if you are mixing by hand and that is perfectly fine. (Crumb cakes are very forgiving)
- Pour into a 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle the walnuts (or any other nut. You can even use chocolate chips if you want or any other chips... peanut butter... etc). Sprinkle 3/4-1 Cup crumble over the entire pan.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes... or until a toothpick comes out clean. (It took me about 45-55 minutes.. keep this in mind if you are making it last minute)
Unfortunately for me... I did not take a completed photo before leaving the crumb cake on the break room table. By the time a remembered this I was far to late to capture an cut cake. But, truthfully... I like this picture much better!
HAPPY BAKING and HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!